Thursday, April 18, 2013

Four Score... and its Vinyl

Vinyl is the material of the week. We learned how to cut decals using the Stika vinyl cutter, transfer the decals to make a three-color decal and master the challenge of finding a surface to adhere it onto without devaluing anything. I haven't managed that one yet, but my expectations are loaded and ready to soar at a moment's notice.

When I worked at Kinko's many years ago, I helped an older couple make a sticker of a giant "G." When I asked them what they were up to, they giggled and said they had always talked about putting a "G" on the Orilla Road exit sign near SeaTac. They made me promise not to tell, but every time I drive by that exit on I-5, I think of that couple and the fun they must have had breaking the law just a little.

I am not going to break the law to put up my decal. Just saying.

The set up and execution of using the cutter was all very easy. What I found challenging is that I had way too much detail in my design. The cutter scored the vinyl and shredded my logo. This was what my teacher was talking about, "... detail...blah blah... scoring... blade.... simple." Actually I do pay attention and he rarely ever says blah blah. He does sing sometimes, though.

I finally took Brian Martin's words to heart and went back to redesigning my sticker with a more economical design. It worked perfectly. No little missing pieces of vinyl this time around.

I hope you enjoy the results.... now, where to stick it?

Shhhhh! We are just going to ignore the misspelling for now.

UPDATE: Now to finish up on last details that may or may not have been overlooked.

This project needed a home and it was not the easiest thing to find a good home that would be a happy place for a sticker. I have not been a sticker fan for most of my life and I don't generally stick stuff on stuff.

The solution... our garage, which is on its last legs, being held up by the contents. Our garage is the next redo project. See the lovely sticker pasted on the garage side door... plexiglass window, no less. The perfect home.

No comments:

Post a Comment